Assistant Sports Director
Director of Sports
Assists with overall operations of sports programs and manages concessions for the Sports Department. Responsible for assisting in the planning, development, implementation and evaluation of a broad range of sports programs; providing leadership to and supervision of employees and volunteer staff and assisting in managing equipment and supplies. Assist in implementation of athletic programming for traditional sports, classes and the After School Sports Leagues. Manage the daily operations of the concession stands.
Program Development and Implementation:
- Assist Director of Sports in development, overall daily operations, and expansion of youth athletic classes including scheduling, recruiting volunteers, and registration.
- Assist with traditional sports including soccer, football, basketball, baseball, and softball leagues including training volunteers.
- Assist with developing new programs to expand the BGC footprint in Kenosha and surrounding communities.
- Assist in Enhancing current marketing efforts within the department. This will include but not be limited to social media, website, and internal/external initiatives.
- Assists in creating and implementing training for coaches, referees, and score keepers as needed.
- Assist in the daily overall operations of the Athletic Department.
- Assist in the registration of participants, tracking and logging attendance and roster assignments.
- Responsible for supervising and staff, scheduling, ordering, stocking and inventory of concessions supplies at all locations including vending machines.
- Supervise, manage, and train staff for the concession areas including staffing, scheduling, ordering, deposits and reconciliation of money.
- Assist in the supervision and evaluation of coaches, referees and score keepers, as well as parents.
- Assist in the recruitment, supervision and training for volunteers.
- Assist in the registration of participants and the creation of rosters/teams.
- Assist with supervision, management and evaluation of all sites, including, opening and closing.
- Ensure a healthy and safe environment; make certain facilities, equipment and supplies are maintained.
- Assist in identifying and implementing training and development opportunities for staff and volunteers.
- Oversee proper record keeping and reporting including activities, events, breakdowns of daily participation figures, notable achievement and any incidents.
- Assist with officiating some sports when necessary.
- Have flexible hours to be able to work some evenings and weekends.
- Be responsible to administer the Volunteer & Reference check platforms.
- Develop and implement strategies to meet membership goals.
- Submit required reports and documentation as requested.
- Manage programs within budget.
- Assist in providing staff and volunteers training for athletic and coaching skills, and on and off field behavior expectations for players and spectators.
- Manage and coordinate with the maintenance department to maintain fields and make sure they are ready for play as scheduled.
- Develop and maintain partnerships with parents, community leaders, and community based athletic organizations.
- Develop working relationships with athletic personnel and principals in local community schools.
- Represent Boys & Girls Club on appropriate committees.
- Attend required Boys & Girls Club and sports department trainings and meetings.
- Effectively utilize a specific guidance and discipline plan.
- Manage or participate in special Boys & Girls Club programs, events.
- Consult with parents concerning member issues under the direction of the Director of Sports.
- Ensure a team based work environment by communicating effectively and positively with supervisors, co-workers and volunteers.
- Make recommendations regarding member’s needs, program ideas, and facility needs.
- Maintain contact with external community groups, schools, members’ parents, and others to assist in resolving problems and to publicize the Club.
- Four-year degree from an accredited college or university, or equivalent experience in sports management.
- Solid understanding of traditional athletic sports including rules, training, staffing, and equipment needs.
- Experience in a Boys & Girls Club or similar organization planning and supervising athletic programs based on the developmental needs of young people.
- Ability to effectively operate a computer and programs used by the Club.
- Strong communication skills, both oral and written.
- Ability to recruit, train, supervise, and motivate staff and volunteers.
- Ability to deal effectively with members, volunteers, and parents including discipline problems.
- Support Club fundraising events.
- Demonstrate ability to work with youth, parents, and community leaders.
- Driver’s License, good driving record, and personal liability insurance required.
- CPR and First Aid Certification.
Physical Requirements/Work Environment:
- Ability to walk, stand, sit and climb stairs.
- Possess an adequate level of manual dexterity and sense of balance.
- Possess good near distance acuity (20 feet or less), far distance acuity (more than 20 feet), three dimensional depth perception and color distinction.
- Ability to tolerate environmental conditions: air conditioning, heat, dust fumes, noise, close quarters, etc.
- Ability to lift and move objects weighing up to 50 pounds.
How to Apply:
The information presented indicates the general nature and level of work expected of employees in this classification. It is not designed to contain, or to be interpreted as, a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, qualifications and objectives required of employees assigned to this job.